Thursday, August 12, 2010

Red Bull Flugtag

My brother and I took on the task to build the Red Bull Flugtag craft for the City of Long Beach. Flugtag means flying day, and on this day August 21st 2010 we will be see our craft in flight. Our team name is " The Flight of the Spruce Goose 2.0" incorporating the Spruce Goose which took residence in the Long Beach Harbour.

I made had drawn up a draft for the craft and shortly after took it down to Randy Brown at Advanced Constructors Corp in Huntington Beach and we put my plans into CAD with all dimensions and it came out pretty cool. After the plans were done I met with some aircraft engineers at the Long Beach Airport who were pretty amazed with the plans I came up with they approved and said get to work!

We ordered 400 feet of 6061 aluminum tubing to build our craft. Thanks to Greg at Phillips Steel Co, we had it all delivered and the build began..

The craft will have the pilot, Amber Cowan on top holdin on for dear life. I will put a bunch of pictures from the start of build, down to the final stages and changes we made to get on top of the competition.

On August 21st at 11AM the event begins and we are the first of 39 teams to take off so come check it out in Long Beach off Pine and Rainbow Harbour..


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment